Sunday, September 11, 2011

Welcome to the 2011-2012 School Year

I am so glad to finally have the library up and running after a long summer of inactivity.  For those of you who may not be familiar with me and my family, let me share that this summer has been extremely busy and personally rewarding.  My first grandchild, Eowyn Grace Smith, was born on June 1 to my daughter Christina and her husband, Brian.  Ten days later, my daughter Lora married Josh in a ceremony held in Clarksburg.   With all that was going on in my personal life, along with the construction and painting in our school that took place over the summer, Mrs. Burks and I elected not to have open library during the summer vacation period.  


When school did resume last month, the library played host to our fourth kindergarten class until last week's move freed up a permanent room for them.  Consequently the opening of the library was delayed.  During this time I was able to complete many tasks that needed performed, but let me tell you, I missed my kids!  The library opened the Tuesday after Labor Day and has been busy and bustling ever since.  Hallelujah!  Here is a snapshot of the last few days' activities:


Total Circulation:      846
Holds Placed by Students:  8
Items Loaned to Other Schools:   3

Not bad for four days' business!  I look forward to continuing this level of service to our students, teachers and parents as the year progresses.  Our first Open Library Night will be held on Monday, September 12 from 4:00 to 7:00.  Parents are invited to bring their children to find new books and to investigate our new reading incentive program, Reading  Counts, which has replaced Accelerated Reader.  I hope to see you in the library for Open Library Nights!
 
Suzie Martin, MLIS, NBCT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign the Declaration